commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: [OT] timers
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:02:43 GMT

Howdy,
I tend to use the simplest of all:

long opStart = System.currentTimeMillis();
... do stuff ...
long opEnd = System.currentTimeMillis();
... elapsed time in milliseconds = opEnd - opStart

I know this approach isn't 100% accurate due to threading issues, CPU
cycles, etc, but it's good enough for every application I've ever
written/used.  It's also consistent, simple to use, and incurs no
overhead.

You will undoubtedly find many timing utilities if you try a google
search.  I haven't found one that claims to always be 100% accurate in
the face of threading issues, so why bother using anything but the
simplest? ;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics