commons-dev mailing list archives

From John Keyes <j...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [CLI] Version 2.0 - API
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 22:12:21 GMT
> Still, the original poster had a point - isMandatory would typically
> return a boolean, whereas setMandatory would be used for setting the
> option.  In my code, using CLI 1.0, I've been using isRequired(true) to
> specify a required option.  The true is not necessary, but makes the
> point
> that I'm setting something, as opposed to getting the value.  I think
> requiring that usage might make things a bit clearer, perhaps
> deprecating
> the old methodology.
I accept the point that isXXX should return boolean.  I will try to
think of
a better name for the method and also make it take a boolean parameter
to emphasize that the method is indeed setting some state.

> As for the mandatory vs. required battle, I have no
> preference - they both state what they do in clear language.
I have modified it to required to try to keep it more consistent with
1.0.
As you say its the name is self-explanatory..

Thanks,
-John K