commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [configuration] Should we update the current version?
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:23:58 GMT
hi eric

promotion is basically a beauty contest.

there are a number of issues which usually effect how people vote but they
are a fluid. here are some issues which (IMHO) effect the voting:

* evidence of compliance with the commons charter. this means having the
right documents in place (a PROPOSAL, a STATUS and so on). it also means
auditing your dependencies and ensuring compliance with general apache
rules. the PROPOSAL needs to be fall within the scope of the commons
charter.

* the scope of the PROPOSAL. (in keeping with the charter) tightly scoped
PROPOSALs are preferable.

* the health of the development community. fellow committers need to be
persuaded that users will be supported and the code pushed forward by the
listed committers. this is a major issue since there's only a limited
amount of energy amongst the commons committers and no one wants to have
to support a component whose committers have gone AWAL.

- robert