commons-dev mailing list archives

From jean-frederic clere <jfrederic.cl...@fujitsu-siemens.com>
Subject Re: jakarta-commons-daemon could use that ?
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:20:49 GMT
Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> (Please excuse the cross post, I wanted to get this out onto the the
> Commons Development List and to JPackage as well. I think the Tomcat
> Lists seem to get a little crowded)
>
> Henri,
>
> I emailed the developer of Easy Posix (Greg Guerin). Turns out that its
> current implementation is dependent upon "Ten" , a  Mac OS X package for
> MacJVM, so it is not deployable in the standard Linux OS.
>
>  From my conversation with him, he spoke that he is planning to develop
> a straight JNI implementation of the EasyPosix interfaces in the future,
> but that if others went that route earlier he would have an interest.
>
> As there has already been much work in the JNI area with daemon, this
> would certainly seem an interesting co-evolution. Perhaps daemon could
> grow into quite a powerful java based service environment with the
> addition of a JNI Implementation of EasyPosix?!

In jakarta-commons-daemon the JNI is limited to what was needed for the daemon.

> Cygwin supports a wide array of posix functions, and making sure the
> implementation of EasyPosix that worked on cygwin as well would provide
> a port of these functions to Windows via Cygwin.

I am afraid that is not a very accepted solution. jakarta-commons-daemon
(service) uses Cygwin and a lot of people were complaining about that.

Apache has an already portable runtime: APR. It would be probably more efficient
to bring an APR interface to JNI than to use a new runtime. And that is already
some code in jakarta-connectors.