commons-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Guther <Andreas.Gut...@guther.de>
Subject [commons-logging] Is log4j the only choice if found on the classpath?
Date Sun, 09 Mar 2003 16:28:38 GMT
Hi:

I am trying to find out how to define that a specific Logger is used
while using the
commons-logging framework.

I started to define a commons-logging.properties file and put it on my
applications
classpath. The test properties file looks as follows (BTW: is there a
place in the
API doc where the commons-logging.properties file and all the possible keys
is explained?):

#org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl

org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger
#org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog

#org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogKitLogger

#org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.NoOpLog

I appears to me that I can switch between the Jdk14Logger and the
LogKitLogger as long
as no log4j jar file is on the path.  As soon as I put  log4j-1.2.4.jar
(or log4j.jar
and log4j-core.jar) in addition on the path, changes in the properties
file indicating that
a different logger from log4j should be used, as for  example
LogKitLogger, seem
not to be noticed by the commons-logging framework.

Am I missing something?  I would like to be able to switch between all
the three if necessary
without removing log4j jars from the path.

Andreas