commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <ggreg...@seagullsw.com>
Subject [Lang] Source code line length
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 23:24:56 GMT
Hello All,

This discussion applies to all of Commons but source code formatting is a
religious issue for some so I am happy to only address this at the [Lang]
level.

For our regular development (at work), we all use Eclipse's formatter with
the same parameters (line length is the only factory default we changed,
145).

Sun's conventions document advises to "Avoid lines longer than 80
characters, since they're not handled well by many terminals and tools."

Apache's guidelines points to Sun's while asking contributors to "Please
respect the style of the orginal[sic] file. Make sure that your additions
fit in with that style".

Lang Line length seems to be varied. I am happy to follow whatever
convention but I would like to plug in a number (80 or >) if there is some
unspoken convention here.

Thanks,
Gary