commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [logging] commons-logging and log4.configuration
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:57:01 GMT

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, SPRINGER,IAN (HP-NewJersey,ex1) wrote:

> | More specifically, commons-logging explicitly declares
> | configuration of
> | the underlying logging implementation to be out of scope.
> |
> | > --Ian
> | >

> | Craig
>

> Oh yes, you're right, I forgot to mention that. I think this is a mistake.
> After all, initialization from a config file is something that all logging
> impls will have. So a logging abstraction layer should provide methods for
> abstracting that functionality.

The fact that the underlying implementations already support configuration
is *exactly* why commons-logging should not duplicate this.  Trying to
identify a common set of configuration properties across all logging
implementations sounds like an interesting challenge -- and not really
worth doing IMHO.

The only reason commons-logging exists is so that you can swap out the
underlying USE of logging without having to modify every calling class.
Configuration is a one-time thing, and the decision to use a particular
implementation means you shouldn't have a hard time making the
one-location change to your initialization code.

After all, you'd have to do this anyway if you were *not* using
commons-logging and were just using a particular logging implementation
directly.

> --Ian

Craig