commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Les Hazlewood" <...@hazlewood.com>
Subject Commons SQL Proposal
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 16:51:00 GMT

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Daniel Rall, Jason van Zyl, and James Strachan, et al.,

Hi, my name is Les Hazlewood, and I've been working with Java, SQL, and XML
for quite a while now.  I have started my own XML -> DDL converter project
on sourceforge, as I wasn't aware that the Commons SQL project existed
(otherwise, I wouldn't have started from scratch).

My project name is DewDrop (http://dewdrop.sf.net) and I've incorporated
much of the same functionality as you folks, but in different areas.  I
believe that DewDrop will have much needed functionality that isn't
available in Commons SQL.

My ultimate goal of DewDrop was to be adopted by the Jakarta project...I had
this in mind from the very start after reviewing tools like OJB and Torque.
It was my intention to create something more powerful for databases for the
Jakarta community.  I just wanted to get a fairly well designed product with
basic functionality working first before I submitted my proposal to the
Jakarta group.

Ultimately, since we have the same common goal, I would like to know if
there is a possibility of merging our efforts.  I believe my XSD data model
definitions for SQL DDL are more complex and provide the user more power
than the ones offered by Commons SQL (although its not complete yet).  Also,
database configurations are defined in XML files, thereby eliminating the
need to develop custom classes for Oracle, Postgres, etc.

However, Commons SQL has more power in the area of direct database
interaction (execution of inserts, etc).  DewDrop currently only handles XML
 -> DDL conversion.  I would love to see if there is something we can do to
merge efforts.

I have been using Jakarta products for years, and this seems like the next
step for my efforts, should the community accept them.

I urge you to visit the dewdrop website (http://dewdrop.sf.net) and see if
our ideas coincide.  Please let me know of your thoughts, comments,
concerns....I'd love to hear any feedback you may have.

Thanks so much,

Les Hazlewood