commons-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee / Purple Technology <g...@stinky.com>
Subject chop/chomp/slice - how to deprecate?
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:44:56 GMT
I've made a first pass at reworking chop and chomp, so that:

* chop works like perl (always remove last character)

* chomp works like perl (remove last character only if it's a newline)

* chopNewline is deprecated with a message "use chomp instead"

* all the previously named "chomp" functions are renamed "slice":
	slice, slicelast, getslice, preslice, getpreslice

Henri, is this an acceptable name change?

Before I check it in, I'd like some consensus on the deprecation
strategy.  We've renamed some methods, and also changed the behavior
of an existing method -- slighly, but significantly.

Do we...

* Check it all in as is, and just make sure to document the changes in
the readme for the next release?

* Put in stub implementations for the old chomp* functions and mark
them with a @deprecated tag?

* Contact anyone who's using them -- I'm thinking about Gump, and its
concept of dependencies between Jakarta projects -- If so, how would
we locate all these users?

If anyone wants to see my changes, let me know and I'll send you a
patch file.

--
Alex Chaffee                               mailto:alex@jguru.com
Purple Technology - Code and Consulting    http://www.purpletech.com/