commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: [NET] listing formats
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:59:45 GMT

In message <D466FBEAA19E7E408BE3FAAC6EEB5676023FF68C@utah.ignitemedia.com>, "St
eve Cohen" writes:
>Another RFC document of interest is =
>http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2640.txt.
>I at first thought that this document might be heading down the paths I =
>was looking at, but alas, it is approaching i18n only from the point of =
>view of character sets used, it has nothing to do with date formats.  In =
>any case, its recommendations have not been widely adopted.

I haven't followed the developments in the protocol for a long while.  It
looks like there is an FTPEXT Working Group, which produced the RFC you
referenced.  They produced a draft of an extended directory listing format
that would be consistent across servers, but it's never moved to the RFC
stage:
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-16.txt
The working group status page seems to indicate that they had intended to
get the extended directory listing draft considered for distribution as an
RFC at the end of 1997:
  http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ftpext-charter.html
For whatever reason, this has dragged on for half a decade.

daniel