commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: Adding TERMINAL-TYPE option to TelnetClient
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 01:35:12 GMT

In message <HBJGL0$19492370944EA70D9494804BF24406BF@libero.it>, "=?iso-8859-1?Q
?b.davanzo@inwind.it?=" writes:
>I think this functionality could potentially be interesting for other users of
>the library, so I would like to propose that the updated sources be included

You forgot to include a patch :)

I think it goes without saying that TelnetClient is an ugly hack right now.
It was developed primarily to support the small bit of Telnet conversation
that occurs in the FTP protocol.  It also was trying to work around the
constraints of java.net in the JDK 1.0.2 and 1.1 days.  It can be made
much more efficient today, but until decisions are made about what Java
versions we want to support, I don't sense a rewrite coming along soon
(besides java.nio's selectable channels are buggy on Linux, so I don't
think committing to JDK 1.4 isn't even an option right now).  In any case,
with that disclaimer, I'm sure everyone concerned feels that any improvements
to make TelnetClient more useful would be great!

>Also, I think that the support for subnegotiating options can be reused
>for implementing support for other telnet options. I think that the best
>way to do this could be defining a java interface for managing options and
>letting users of the library define their own class for managing options.

Sounds good.  Submit a patch.  TelnetClient never got as far as working
out a reusable way of dealing with the incredible variety of telnet
options, so adding one is a good idea.  Caveat: I'm procrastinating
right now and really shouldn't be chatting about stuff I don't have the
time to help out with.  I'm not sure how Jeffrey and Steve are doing on time,
so your patch may not be reviewed and applied or commented on immediately
unless some other Commons committer with a hankering to improve Commons
Net takes it up.  I can promise to take some action on a patch by March 26th
if no one else does.

daniel