commons-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee / Purple Technology <g...@stinky.com>
Subject [lang] StringUtils Questions and Suggestions
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 18:25:58 GMT

In reviewing StringUtils in preparing to integrate my Purpletech code,
I discovered some inconsistencies and came up with the following
questions and suggestions:

* Rename overlayString to overlay (to be consistent with other method
  names, and more concise)

* It would be great if many the methods could be written to work on a
  PrintWriter as well as just creating and returning a string

* Um, what's the difference between mid() and substring()?

* And why isn't strip*() called trim*()?

* chomp() and chop() have slightly (but significantly!) different
  semantics than in Perl.  It would be great if StringUtils behaved in
  line with expectations.

Later -

 - Alex

--