commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Downey <steve.dow...@geowealth.com>
Subject RE: [logging] commons-logging and log4.configuration
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2003 19:43:36 GMT
On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 13:11, SPRINGER,IAN (HP-NewJersey,ex1) wrote:

> | More specifically, commons-logging explicitly declares
> | configuration of
> | the underlying logging implementation to be out of scope.
> |
> | > --Ian
> | >

> | Craig
>

> Oh yes, you're right, I forgot to mention that. I think this is a mistake.
> After all, initialization from a config file is something that all logging
> impls will have. So a logging abstraction layer should provide methods for
> abstracting that functionality.
>
> --Ian

Commons logging is an abstraction designed for use by library
components. A library component has no business configuring a logging
system. That's a concern for the application, and the application
*should* know what logging system is being used.

Commons logging is *not* a logging system. It deliberately restricts
itself to being a facade for the logger object, and providing a factory
for those facades. It does not include configuration of the logging
system, or setting logging levels, or any other activity that an
application needs that a library component doesn't. This isn't an
accident, it's a design decision.