commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mario Ivankovits" <Mario.Ivankov...@ops.co.at>
Subject [VFS] FtpFileSystem and passive connections
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:17:16 GMT
@vfs developer:

I would like to use vfs, but the FtpFileSystem cant deal with passive ftp connections. How
would you like to see this problem correclty handeled:

1) switch to passive mode by environment setting and code this in "FTPClient.createConnection()"
- this is an global setting, but it might depend on the destination host what of active/passive
has to be selected

2) register an new provider. e.g. ftpp://
+ solves problem 1
- maybe one might say "Hey man, would you like to implement a new file-system for every possible
ftp setup"

3) use FileSystem set/getAttribute
+ solved problem 1 and 2
- i have to set this ftp-attribute even if the requested file-system is not an ftp-connection.
If some other filesystem also requires a "custom setup", we have to set all attributes on
the filesystem, even if the current filesystem do not need this attribute.
I think this is not a perfect technical solution.

4) ??

If you preferre 2, i would like to vote to make "FTPClient.createConnection()" protected instead
of "private" so i could override this function and set the connection to passive mode in an
new "FtpPasvFileSystem" class.
If you preferre 3, we should create a "CommonAttributes" class with some possible keys for
get/setAttribute.

I vote for 2, since it makes it perfectly clear what the user wants, and the vfs-system knows
exactly what to do with this filesystem.