commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mario Ivankovits" <Mario.Ivankov...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Re: REVIEW: Pooled connection architecture vulnerable to double use
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 07:01:23 GMT
> What do people think about possibly moving the code that
> reclaims abandoned connections to a separate thread, similar to idle
> object eviction?
The current solution is more defensive, only if an connection is needet and
the pool is nearly empty the abandoned process starts.
I think this is a good argument for not doing this within an thread which
aggresivley tries to kill such connections.

> If you have issues like firewall or database timeouts closing
> the connections, they can also be invalid when returned to the pool and
> will remain available to the application until the idle object eviction
> thread subsequently runs.
I dont know dbcp in detail for now, but as i have read, you could define a
"validation query" which runs on "release connection", "request connection"
and "async". So on database timeouts and firewall issues it might be better
to run this validation query on "request" !?!

Mario