commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mario Ivankovits" <Mario.Ivankov...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Please let us start to improve the connection pool
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:34:47 GMT
> Not very good idea ...
I have currently converted our application from single-connection (per
session) to this connection pool. We do have had a clean concept for how to
get an connection, but maybe one of the developer has done some "mystic". I
just felt very comfortable with this "feature" in two ways:
1) Our application might not run in an "out of connection" error only due to
some bug
2) This bug is logged with its stacktrace (where the connection is
requested) and solving is easy. How can an developer be more happy?!

> It is just workaround, I do not believe it can work.
Why not? With my patch applied have have successfully tested this.
1) The connection was passed back, logged and reused
2) The wrong program terminates with an "NullPointerException" which is the
consequence of my patch if the pool "abandoned" the connection.

> Is  "backgound thread" used for this wokaround too ?
No, this is done in AbandonedObjectPool.borrowObject() when the pool is near
the state where no more connections are available.