commons-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: VFS and JNDI
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 06:47:08 GMT
Hanasaki JiJi wrote:

> Thinking out loud here....  What do you think?
> 1. turn the VFS providers into JNDI SPI
> 2. implement VFS via JNDI or the JNDI SPI's directly

+1

Tomcat abstracts the file system using JNDI - it may be worth taking
a look. That means any JNDI based VFS would be easy to plug into tomcat,
and you can get some pretty well tested and optimized modules for .war and
file system.

You may also take a look at the caching and other optimizations that Remy
put into the jndi layer.

One of the big benefits of using JNDI as the API for the VFS is the
stability of the API, and the huge number of people who are already
familiar with it.

A disadvantage is the greater complexity - even if you don't have to
implement all JNDI methods, there is a bit more work. However Name and
few other things allow some very interesting optimizations that are just
imposible otherwise.

If VFS switches to JNDI - it may be worth merging some of the code from
tomcat.

Costin