commons-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject [dbcp] few sugestions and comments
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:05:13 GMT
I don't think this has a high priority - and I certainly don't have
the time to implement them right now, but I just want to have it
posted "for record".

The first issue is the JOCL - i.e. yet another config format. I can live
with that - but it should be moved out of commons-dbcp to its own component,
if we define yet another config mechanism at least maybe other components
could use it.

In general I think the commons components should be configuration neutral -
and it seems dbcp will throw an exception if the jocl config file is not
found.

I would strongly suggest providing an alternative config - i.e.
setters for the supported configurable options. This would allow
control via JMX.

Speaking of JMX: I would really appreciate more getters to allow a JMX
console to get runtime information - like the number of connections in
use, etc. In addition some control methdods to be exposed via JMX console -
like closing connections, restart, changing settings.

For a long-running server side application this kind of stuff helps a lot.

Costin