commons-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [IO] When is an official release expected?
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 19:26:09 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> This might come across as being a bit bombastic, but there are points in
> there, honest.
>
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>

>>I am proposing to the Avalon team to drop Excalibur IO in favor of
>>Commons IO.  That way it is less for us to maintain--and it is a
>>library, not a component.
>

> The part of this I disagree with is the 'less for us to maintain'. The way
> Commons is meant to work I thought was that the projects who donated code
> in were the ones who maintained it.

Well, right now, Commons IO already has everything from Avalon IO.  We
have to worry about what's in our CVS as well as here.

> Now, one 'legal' reason why Avalon would not be involved in maintaining
> the code:
>
> "The Commons Proper is a place for collaboration and sharing, where
> developers from throughout the Jakarta community can work together on
> projects to be shared by the Jakarta projects and Jakarta users. "
>
> Now, Avalon isn't in Jakarta now right? However, that's really just
> something that Commons needs to fix about its self-description.

;)  I'm sure that is merely for the spirit of Java based Apache projects
which means Avalon still applies.

>>As far as I know all functionality is merged in.  Our users do need
>>an official replacement which can only happen when there is a Commons
>>IO release.
>
> One of the reasons that there's been no release of IO is that [as the only
> person kicking IO stuff around afaik] I've been waiting until there were
> unit-tests for the code in there [and shuffling package names a bit so
> that it has space to grow] and writing the unit-tests takes time,
> especially as I'm being a typical Java coder and thinking I can make a
> framework as nice as the Collections unit-test framework.

We have a couple rudimentary tests, I am not sure if they are part
of Commons IO yet or not.