commons-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [vote] moving commons-sql, commons-dbcp and commons-dbutils to db.apache.org
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:33:07 GMT
Robert Leland wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>> Martin Poeschl wrote:
>>

>>>as the name indicates db.apache.org is for db related projects.
>>>the db project is new but people will look for db related stuff there
>>>and not at jakarta-commons .. so it makes sense to move the projects to
>>>db.apache.com
>>

>> And people who are already use it will look for it in jakarta-commons.
>>
>> I know tomcat uses ( and bundles ) commons-dbcp.jar, and I would preffer
>> it remains in jakarta-commons. For the others - I don't care.
>
> It seems keeping the package name org.apache.commond.dbcp is the most
> important, for now.
>
> Automatically redirecting the page
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp.html to
> db.apache.org/dbcp should be trasparent.

Again - why should we do this ?

At this moment I'm -1 for commons-dbcp.jar, and -0 on the others.
Moving code for the sake of moving code is wrong - you won't increase
the community or the quality of the code by moving it.

Since commons-dbcp.jar is used by at least one jakarta project - I need more
arguments on the benefits of such a move.

Costin