commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [CLI] new design possibly?
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 14:17:10 GMT

John Keyes wrote, On 06/02/2003 13.24:
> On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 08:55, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>John Keyes wrote, On 06/02/2003 0.58:
>>
>>>I have grown disgruntled with CLIs current design so I have done
>>>some thinking on the matter (BTW, I know I should have done
>>>this before a 1.0 release).  Before I finish working on it
>>>I thought I'd seek comments from you guys.  Check out the
>>>class diagram at http://www.integralsource.com/cli/datatype.gif
>>>and let me hear your comments.
>>
>>Just a note about CLI.
>>
>>Avalon has worked with Jakarta Commons so that we are able to move the
>>projects that now rely on Excalibur CLI to Commons CLI, so remember your
>>customers ;-)
>
> Yeah I know that, this is why I haven't produced any code yet.  I
> am just throwing the idea out there.  Any deliverable would have
> to be able to fully support the current feature set.  I will continue
> with my design and see what people think when it is finished anyway.

:-D

>>One point that we would like to see is that commons logging is never a
>>*hard* dependency. That means that if commons logging is not in the
>>classpath, the package should be able to work correctly, even if with
>>logging disabled.
>
> Where has this mention of commons-logging come from?  I didn't mention
> anything to do with it.

|-) I know... I just took the opportunity to tell a thing that had come
out these days about Commons CLI. Some developers were afraid that we
will in the future have a hard dependency on CL... I want to zap
Excalibur CLI, so if you say ok, we will do it with no regret :-)

>>Furthermore, there is a patch for a completely reflective version of
>>CLI. What's the status of that?
>
> The status is that I haven't gotten in and looked at it yet.  I need
> to try to understand the patch and write the unit tests for it.

Maybe Nick can help you on them.
Anyway, cool that it's still on your list :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -