commons-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [CLI] new design possibly?
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 10:33:04 GMT

Henri Yandell wrote, On 06/02/2003 11.18:

> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>>>One point that we would like to see is that commons logging is never a
>>>*hard* dependency. That means that if commons logging is not in the
>>>classpath, the package should be able to work correctly, even if with
>>>logging disabled.
>>
>>Please justify this. Is it solely because you have people who refuse to go
>>near commons-logging, or is there a technical reason?
>

> I'm just funked. Ignore this.

Naa, you are right, I have to justify it.

The fact is that Commons Logging does not advocate IOC, Inversion of
Control, that is so dear to us. And also that IMHO these small packages
should not log by default, since logging in these cases is not a runtime
requirement as in server applications but a debugging and development
requirement.

It's ok if it uses Commons Logging, as long as it's not a hard
dependency. I think it's a good common ground, and it's what is done ATM.

I have personally committed Commons Logging in POI, and made it not
break the usage of the jar if not present, so should make it clear what
I think of the usage of Commons Logging in the scenario of reusable
components.

:-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -