commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <>
Subject RE: [beanutils] 1.6 release breaks Maven and Jelly
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 01:58:51 GMT

To add something to the bugzilla vs mailing list bit.

I tend to advise posting to the mailing list for immediate results, but
posting to bugzilla to make sure that something is taken care of before
the next release.

Before a release, a release manager should be making sure there are no NEW
bugs, and that they are all either put off to the next development phase,
or are fixed.

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Tim Vernum wrote:

> From: Craig R. McClanahan []
> > Bugzilla reports get mirrored to the COMMONS-DEV list already, so you
> > don't need to do both, unless you want to discuss proposed
> > solutions to an
> > existing report.
> >
> > Specific bug reports are great.  Specific bug reports with proposed
> > patches are also great.  Your bug report is fine -- it's just
> > that this is
> > a volunteer army here :-).
> My post probably sounded like more of a complaint that it was intended to.
> My concern was more that dIon (and you) spent some amount of time to discover
> and diagnose a bug that I had already found.
> Given that duplicated effort is generally a Bad Thing, I was questioning whether
> there was a better solution. But maybe it's just dIon's fault for not checking
> bugzilla :>
> > As the Javadocs for BeanUtils.setProperty() try to warn you, it is
> > probably *NOT* the method you want to use for the general case of
> > assigning a proeprty with conversion via ConvertUtils.  You
> > should really
> > be using BeanUtils.copyProperty() for that (or
> > BeanUtils.copyProperties()
> > if you want to copy+convert an entire set of properties).
> >
> > Therefore, what we need to do is make copyProperty() powerful
> > enough to do
> > what you really need.  It sounds like that means making
> > nested and indexed
> > properties work (to the degree that we can), right?
> Yes.
> When I ran into the bug I accepted that I was using the wrong
> method, but changing it to copyProperty didn't work because
> I needed nested properties (which is probably why I used
> setProperty in the first place [either that or a late night
> hacking session]), I guess someone will probably need indexed
> properties also.
> > Is there anything
> > else that copyProperty() needs to do?
> To the best of my knowledge no, but dIon probably has a larger
> set of use cases than I do.
> >patches to copyProperty() would be welcome.
> I might have some free cycles in the next day or so, so I'll
> try and have look.
> This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of
Macquarie Bank or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should
not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments,
and should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Bank does not guarantee the integrity of
any emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and
may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Bank.