commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: [logging] Class Loading Problems
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:16:02 GMT

Howdy,

>I was reported a few moths ago, but I see it is not fixed in current
CVS

That's because "completely undocumented, useless and broken" isn't a bug
report.  It's a misplaced rant at best.

>can I add myself to logging comiters list and fix this problem ?

No, you can't make yourself a committer.  You are welcome to open bug
reports in BugZilla and submit patches to them.  The patches shouldn't
be consistent with the established project conventions.  In time, you
may become a committer pending a vote from other committers.  Look here
for more details:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/contributing.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/volunteering.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/patches.html

>It is not possible to solve all problems with current API.

That sounds very determined.  I disagree, but I'm not interested enough
to get into a debate.

>"I'm getting really angry at commons-logging. I thought I'd never find
>anything worse than Tomcat, but the Jakarta folks did it again:

I won't make any comment about the quality of hibernate itself, as I
haven't used it.  I have used tomcat and log4j extensively, contributed
to both.  I've also used hibernate, and found TopLink superior, so I
don't use hibernate anymore.

>just used System.out (log4j has crazy bugs, too). But Hibernate uses

That is just amusing ;)  Same thing applies to submitting bugs and
patches to commons-logging as it does to log4j.

>Please, can we reduce the Jakarta dependencies in Hibernate? I see no
>real use for log4j and commons logging. The standard is the JDK, and if
>1.4 is not available, fall back to a selfwritten simple stdout
default."

It's good to have options ;)  No one made the hibernate authors use
tomcat/log4j/commons-logging to start with.  No one says
tomcat/log4j/commons-logging are perfect.  I'm not going to go about
fixing commons-logging acknowledged classloading issues.  But with the
spirit of the above quoted message, I doubt the poster is going to get
much cooperation ;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics