commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Poeschl <mpoes...@marmot.at>
Subject Re: [vote] moving commons-sql, commons-dbcp and commons-dbutils to db.apache.org
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2003 06:37:03 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

>Robert Leland wrote:
>

>>Costin Manolache wrote:

>>>And people who are already use it will look for it in jakarta-commons.

and will be redirected to the new site ;-)
most people look for torque at the turbine site...
most people look for ant at the jakarta site ...

it's good to cross-link the projects to make it easier to find them ...

>>>I know tomcat uses ( and bundles ) commons-dbcp.jar, and I would preffer
>>>it remains in jakarta-commons. For the others - I don't care.
>>>

>>It seems keeping the package name org.apache.commond.dbcp is the most
>>important, for now.
>>
>>Automatically redirecting the page
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp.html to
>>db.apache.org/dbcp should be trasparent.
>>

>Again - why should we do this ?
>
>At this moment I'm -1 for commons-dbcp.jar, and -0 on the others.
>Moving code for the sake of moving code is wrong - you won't increase
>the community or the quality of the code by moving it.

grouping projects by functionality is the right step to form new communities

>Since commons-dbcp.jar is used by at least one jakarta project - I need more
>arguments on the benefits of such a move.

it's also used by torque

The Jakarta Project creates and maintains open source solutions on the
Java platform for distribution to the public at no charge.

DB is a Project of the Apache Software Foundation
<http://db.apache.org/#Apache%20Software%20Foundation> , charged with
the creation and maintenance of commercial-quality, open-source,
database solutions based on software licensed to the Foundation, for
distribution at no charge to the public.

where would you go first if you are looking for a db connection pool????

martin