commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Dever <jsde...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: [codec] RE: Base64.java
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 20:11:36 GMT
Right now the Base64 class is entirely static, with static method and
static members.  The constructor is private, it cannot be instantiated.
 I don't think we are looking for any OO here, its functional in nature.
We are not looking for radical redesign, changes or improvements, just a
nice logical home in commons for a class that is currently widely used,
replicated and forked.

Using static flags to configure Base64 behaviour are *not* going to
work.  Particularly with the concept of commons: small re-useable
components.  Here is why:

Lets talk about the usage pattern for those flags, there really are only
two ways to go:
1) One of the classes in the package set the flags in a static block.
2) The flags are set before each call to the Base64 encode/decode methods.

In case 1), if you are the only package loaded in the jvm, and you
always use Base64 the same way, then you are fine.  But if there other
packages loaded in the jvm that also use Base64, but with different
flags, then the class loading order determines which flags are used.
 You are broken.

In case 2), if everything is running in one thread, then you are ok.
 But if there are multiple threads, then you can have your flags set out
from under you while doing an decode/encode.  You are broken.

As we get more applications built out of commons projects, and more
commons projects that depend on other commons projects (like
HttpClient), these static issues become more and more likely.  To use
flags safely, you would have to make them instance members and requre
instantiation of Base64 objects.  This does more harm than good.

Static Flags Considered Harmful!

There does not seem to be much choice other than overloading the method
signatures:
public static byte[] decode(byte[] data);
public static byte[] decode(byte[] data, boolean chunk);

Jandalf.