commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Dever <jsde...@sympatico.ca>
Subject more common classes need a home
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 00:17:00 GMT
There are still a bunch of classes that are in both HttpClient and
Slide.  In particular:
Base64.java
HttpsURL.java
HttpURL.java
URIException.java
URI.java
URIUtil.java
URLUtil.java

First of all, I think these should come out of Slide as part of their
migration to commons-httpclient which is still underway.

Second, I thnk that these classes are too general to be part of
HttpClient.  They have use well beyond a http client, and so should be
available to other packages without requiring the commons-httpclient.jar.

Do people agree with me?  If so, any idea where these could go?  Perhaps
the root of org.apache.commons?  or a new commons-net package?  put
Base64 in commons-lang, and create a new commons-uri package?

If we do this, would it be better for HttpClient to roll the classes
into the commons-httpclient.jar, or require it as a dependancy?

Any comments would be helpful.

Jandalf.