commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: [net] action items: Version Number
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:49:27 GMT

In message <m3smuwj1mf.fsf@beholder.brekke.org>, Jeffrey D. Brekke writes:
>I'll start with a vocie for a version number of 1.0.0 following the commons gu
>idelines for versioning.
>We already have the migration how-to setup for moving from NetComponents 1.3.8
> to Commons/Net 1.0.0

Sounds good to me.  My bias is toward grepping the documentation for and
removing any lingering references to NetComponents and 1.3.8, voting on
a release, tagging the current HEAD as NET_1_0_0 (is that the Commons
release tagging convention or should it be NET_1 or NET_1_0; NET_1_0_0
makes more sense to me), and producing a release according to
  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases.html

Some may feel there's a need for the first release to be
either an alpha or a beta.  I could agree with a beta, but would prefer
a 1.0 release followed up with a 1.0.1 release if any issues crop up
immediately.  Given that the software does not differ in any substantial
way from the NetComponents 1.3.8 that has been in production use for,
egads!, 5 years, I think a 1.0 release is warranted.  I just want to clear
the path quickly for folks who have submitted patches to have them applied
and for major evolutionary changes to become possible.

daniel