commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher M. Judd" <cj...@columbus.rr.com>
Subject [dbcp] DBCP classloader in Tomcat 4.1.18
Date Sat, 15 Feb 2003 03:56:15 GMT
I am building a web application using Tomcat 4.1.18, Struts 1.1 b3 and MSSQL. I have used Struts
1.0 in the past and configured the datasources in struts-config.xml file. This is my first
attempt at using Struts 1.1 b3 and datasource configurations in the struts-config.xml file
have been deprecated. I tried to configure the datasource using JNDI several times with no
luck. I repeatedly got ClassNotFoundExceptions on the MSSQL driver class. I tried placing
the MSSQL jars in the WEB-INF/lib of my web app, in the server/lib and in the shared/lib.
Finally I tried creating a JSP and doing a Class.forName(). The JSP could find the class so
I realized after many hours of trial and error it must be a Classloader issue. I finally found
the common/lib directory and that worked. After thinking about it I realize the issue and
that the common/lib jars must be in a different Classloader. However, I am wondering if there
is an issue with the way commons-dbcp locates and loads classes. Requiring database jars to
reside in the common/lib and not in the web applications WEB-INF/lib reduces flexibility.