commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [logging] To depend or not to depend?
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:21:08 GMT
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org>
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, James Strachan wrote:
> > Maybe we could introduce a seperate interface, NamedLog which has a
single
> > getName() method? Or just use introspection and add a getName() method
> > the core Log implementations? Though both of these increase the size
and/or
> > complexity of commons-logging, so I'd personally prefer just adding a
new
> > method to Log; its a fairly minor change.
> >

> NamedLog wouldn't help the stated Avalon use case, because there would
> still be existing libraries that don't use it.  Convincing the world to
> change would not be a likely scenario.

But the default Log implementations in commons-logging could implement
NamedLog and then Avalon could check for it and if not just log a warning &
use a default value?

Maybe using introspection on the Log implementation might be easier to add
incrementally to Log implementations without breaking backwards
compatibility.

> Adding a new method might be OK in a 2.x release (although I don't feel a
> particular compulsion towards it), but would be against the spirit of
> Commons support for backwards compatibility in a 1.x releaese; so I'd
> definitely be -1 there.

So you might not be -1 if if it were a 2.x release change?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/