commons-dev mailing list archives

From tobr...@transolutions.net (O'brien, Tim)
Subject [codec] base64 improved....
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 06:08:24 GMT
An improved Base64 was added to a "binary" subpackage of codec.   Martin
Redington who is involved in xml-rpc submitted this version of the class as
he has been actively contributing to the xml-rpc effort.  This new version
of the Base64 class improves performance of the decode and also is more
compatible with RFC.  There is a thread on rpc-dev to this effect:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=rpc-dev@xml.apache.org&m
sgNo=713

So, [codec] now contains an implementation compatible with the xml-rpc
project, and the next step is to reconcile this version with the needs of
[httpclient].

Possible controversy here may be that the RFC was interpreted as requiring a
terminating newline.  The RFC also mentions that a warning or exception
should be thrown when the encoder/decoder encounters invalid characters or
whitespace.  My proposal is that we add a series of boolean flags, int
fields to the method signature to allow client projects to specify different
levels of RFC compliance.

public static byte[] encode( byte[] binaryData ) throws EncoderException

public static byte[] encode( byte[] binaryData, int errorLevel ) throws
EncoderException

Where errorLevel would be either Base64.IGNORE, Base64.WARN, or
Base64.EXCEPTION

--------
Tim O'Brien