commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jørgen Nørgaard <...@anneli.dk>
Subject TelnetClient on Solaris - timeout problem
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:15:08 GMT
Hello,

we have a small application that uses telnet to retrieve information
from other hosts. It works fine.

However, the timeout for connections to hosts not responding for some
reason is a bit problematic.
On Linux and Windows, using jdk 1.3.x and 1.4.x setting
DefaultTimeout this works as expected.

On Solaris however all connections using commons-net timeout after
around 4 mins.

The only way I see to do something on Solaris is to use jdk1.4.x
which has a more elaborate api for Sockets. The program "sock"
illustrates this.

Any ideas how to make this work nicely on Solaris also?

Attrached:
LOG contains measurements on Solaris first and then on Linux to see difference.
tel.java, connection using TelnetClient
sock.java, connection using only Socket

As it turns out, the message linux jdk produces,
java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host, may not be
entirely correct. At least that is what one network expert told me.
The target address is on the same subnet as my machines, so no
routing is involved?

Regards,
--
/jørgen nørgaard                               ... For privacy ...
e-mail: jnp@anneli.dk | Phone: +45 2627 3769