commons-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Xml vs. XML? (was: Re: Your commits to commons-configuration)
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:48:43 GMT
On 14 Jan 2003, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

> While I'm pretty ambient to XML or Xml, I personally find it bad that we
> outdate a perfectly good class (We already _had_ XmlConfiguration) just
> because you don't like the name.

The perfectly good class was devoid of implementation:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/configuration/src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/Attic/XmlConfiguration.java?rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

The new DOM4J class is a XML-based implementation of the Configuration
interface.  I figure implementations which use other supporting libraries
(e.g. vanilla Xerces, etc.) will be forthcoming, so I added a base class
into which to push common functionality and with which to develop a
micro-API.  I have no compunctions about removing place holders.  :-)

- Dan