commons-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Your commits to commons-configuration
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:57:13 GMT
On 14 Jan 2003, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

> I've seen that you put some classes into commons-sandbox/configuration.
> You wrote in the logging message:
>
> --- cut ---
> * src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/XmlConfiguration.java
>   Removed, renamed to XMLConfiguration.java.
> --- cut ---
>
> According to Sun naming rules (and Apache convention), even acronyms are
> written in the "first letter caps" rule in method and class names. So
> IMHO "XmlConfiguration" is better than "XMLConfiguration".
>
> Same goes for "DOM4JConfiguration" vs. "Dom4JConfiguration".

Neither Sun nor Apache has such a convention applied to acronym names,
Henning.  In fact (the name escapes me ATM), but there's at least one spot
in Sun's JDK where the first-letter-caps version was deprecated in favor of
an all-caps acronym.

> I'd like to get these class names changed back.

I removed one unimplemented class, re-added another with a similar name and
different function in its place, and added an entirely new one to provide an
XML implementation of the Configuration interface.

I'm happy with the names I chose.  Thanks for watching the commits.

- Dan