commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject RE: Where has commons lang Strings.interpolate(String text, Map m ap) gone?
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:40:48 GMT

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Simon Moore wrote:

> I don't want to spark off any arguments but was there any real strong reason
> why it wasn't kept within commons.lang or at least moved to another package?

It moved to Commons Util, which was a sandboxed project, but that was
nuked recently. It had become a repository for unrelated and not very
important flotsam [in the general scheme of things].

The reason for moving it out of Commons.Lang is that there's a very big
worry that Commons Lang will grow too big and become Commons.Jakarta.JDK.
This manifests itself in two ways, firstly there is a definite push for
every class to justify its existence, and secondly there is an increasing
barrier to new concepts going in.

> I've had to add the method to our own string utils class :(  ( I think it's
> relative)
> I suppose it went through the deprecation process?? ;)

Nope. Having deprecations from a beta to a first release seemed overkill.

I for one ought to make a good mental note of this case as I tend to not
be a believer in deprecation. I prefer to break it up front so that people
can solve it while the issues are still understood, and not in a year when
everyone's forgotten what the deal was. That's not a common view though at
Apache. This was definitely a case of the beta being 'cleaned' before
release.

Sorry about that,

Hen