commons-dev mailing list archives

From bob mcwhirter <...@werken.com>
Subject Re: [Jelly] Release Issue 3 - Exception handling
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:32:43 GMT
> Which do you think is better, Jelly this week (no
> methods throwing generic Exceptions) or last week (all
> methods throwing Excecption).  A veto means we go back
> to the old way, where all Exceptions that Jelly throws
> are completely undocumented.  To me that's very
> undesirable.

bare Exception in the core of jelly isn't a good thing, I'll agree with
you.  It's purely the changing of the doTag() signature that bothers me.

Though, I take it now, the two are inseparable?  You can't leave just
the doTag() siganature as throwing a bare Exception?

Having to update drools, werkz, blissed, petridish, and werkflow just
isn't going to be fun.

I apologize for my goofy example, so, lemme try again, catching what
I want, and letting others escape:

public void doTag(XMLOutput) throws Exception
{
    Object obj = null;

    try
    {
        obj = doSomethingThatCanThrowSixException();
    }
    catch (FileNotFoundException e)
    {
        obj = new Object();
    }

    doSomethingWithObject( obj );
}

	...versus...

public void doTag(XMLOutput) throws JellyException
{
    Object obj = null;

    try
    {
        obj = doSomethingThatCanThrowSixException();
    }
    catch (FileNotFoundException e)
    {
        obj = new Object();
    }
    catch (Exception e)
    {
        throw new JellyException( e );
    }

    doSomethingWithObject( obj );
}

I guess I need to hear Strachan's opinion on the topic.

You say dIon is working on making maven happy with this?

Sorry, I'm trying to stir up trouble, but that's just a radical change
that doesn't appear to have any direct benefit to the people it affects,
namely the tag authors.

	-bob