commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Time for more mailing lists ?
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 17:57:16 GMT
some observations (made in the spirit of Nicola's 'conceptual suggestions
made as random thoughts')

email volume
it encourages people from different components to share ideas and come up
with better solutions than they would in isolation. it also creates a
collective spirit.

of course, it's quite possible to have too much of a good thing :)

sandbox components
successful.

not only are they unpopular with the components themselves but they are
hard for outsiders to monitor. i (for one) have no idea about what's
happening in httpclient and i cannot effectively supervise them.

when we decided to push them out onto their own list, i thought that all
votes were supposed to remain on the main list. i don't recall seeing any
VOTEs on this list about new committers or about releases. (i'm not saying
that there's been any impropriety - just that if there was, there's no way
that i'd know.)

if half a dozen components were pushed into their own mailing lists, then
this could become an important issue.

conclusions
created unless there will be a large enough community to make them viable.

i'd like the idea about all VOTEs taking place on a single list enforced.

possible component groupings

BeanUtils, CLI, Collections, Discovery, Lang, Logging should have enough
momentum to a become a viable core grouping.

JXPath, jelly, betwixt, digester may be big enough to become a viable xml
grouping

pool, DBCP could fit together into a cache group - but i think that it
would be too small to be viable.

httpclient, latka, fileupload could fit together into a http group - but
again, probably too small.

- robert