commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Ola Berg" <ola.b...@ports.se>
Subject Re: [BeanUtils] Javabean diff?
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:54:03 GMT
I have previously developed a bean differ and started with a Class differ (that from two class
definitions of the same class, or in fact two totally different classes, can express the differences),
and started with a bean patcher (given a bean instance + a diff = reconstruct the bean that
aws diffed against).

The BeanDiffer creates a number of increments or a row of set commands: (set bean property
'name' to 'Ola'), the need for a separate patcher was not, until the demand from the project
came to be able to compare beans of different classes, which created the need for the Class
differ plus a separate patcher object that mainly acts like a factory, and understands a command
in the command row that says (use bean class "foo.bar.Baz").

The requirement for different classes was later withdrawn, so the class differ and the patcher
was never completed.

The go at trying to diff beans made from different version of the same class (using two class
loaders) was done for my own amusement only, thinking that it could be useful for dynamic
version checking, but I got lost in the class loading magic. However, using clazz, I think
that it could be done, but I have a hard time really seeing the use case for it.

I can 1) browse my source archive at home, and 2) check with my partner at the time if it
is OK to donate the BeanDiffer.

/O