commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rodney Waldhoff <rwaldh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Jelly] Release Issue 3 - Exception handling
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:56:42 GMT
> Morgan Delagrange wrote:
>
> >I'd like permission to try to
> >weed out nearly all of our instances of
> >throwing/catching generic Exceptions and Throwables.

While there may be cases in which "catch(Exception e)" could be construed
as reasonable thing to do, I think we'd be hard pressed to ever justify
"catch(Throwable t)".  Is there every a time when when we really want to
catch the Error side of the Throwable tree (StackOverflow, OutOfMemory,
etc.)?  The most meaningful action for jelly and most code is probably to
just allow the Error to propagate up.

(I'm also in favor of weeding out "catch(Exception e)" and for that matter
"throws Exception" wherever possible, but Throwable should absolutely go
IMO.)