commons-dev mailing list archives

From Morgan Delagrange <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Jelly] using bean, junit, etc. tags in core unit tests
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 23:24:30 GMT

--- dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> I'm not so sure I like the idea of using jars for
> testing without
> declaring them as a dependency.

I don't think of it as a dependency, it's essentially
just declaring multiple source trees for the test
classes, and some of those test classes happen to have
a Jelly tag interface.  It's not an elegant approach,
but it does allow bean, junit, log, etc. tags to be
released independently of the core, which I think is a
good goal.

Theoretically, do you think that an approach like this
can be reflected in the generated Ant script?  Even if
not, it may be worth an extra manual step to creating
Ant scripts if no better way presents itself.

> I'd be happier if we could change the tests to not
> rely on them.

I'd be fine with that if it didn't affect the
effectiveness of the tests.  If we end up with equally
good, non-convoluted tests, +1.

> I'm currently working on removing the bean code from
> the core tests. It's
> tedious and error prone, but worthwhile AFAIK.

I was wondering what was going on there.  :)

Cool.  Even if we did end up including tags like junit
in the unit tests, I'd prefer core to be completely
decoupled from bean.

> If the core couldn't use the test and log taglibs I
> wouldn't be averse to
> rewriting the existing tests to stop using them.

It's inconvenient, but I think it's important that
junit tags have a separate release cycle.  We can
achieve this by including the junit tag classes with
the test classes or by removing the junit tags in the
core unit tests.  I'm fine with either, whatever works
out the best for us.  There may be better approaches
too; I'm open to suggestions.

- Morgan