commons-dev mailing list archives

From Morgan Delagrange <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Your commits to commons-configuration
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:12:33 GMT

--- Kurt Schrader <kschrader@karmalab.org> wrote:
> On 14 Jan 2003, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
>
> > According to Sun naming rules (and Apache
> convention), even acronyms are
> > written in the "first letter caps" rule in method
> and class names. So
> > IMHO "XmlConfiguration" is better than
> "XMLConfiguration".
> >
> > Same goes for "DOM4JConfiguration" vs.
> "Dom4JConfiguration".
> >
> > I'd like to get these class names changed back.
>
> The Sun naming rules don't say anything about
> acronyms.

Actually they do talk about acroymns in class names,
they just don't seem to pin down the capitalization:

http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConventions.doc8.html

> Effective Java (pg. 165) says:
>
> There is little consensus as to whether acronyms
> should be uppercase or
> have only their first letter capitalized.
>
> Either way should be ok.
>
> -Kurt

I agree with Henning that the preponderance of Apache
classes seem to use mixed case for acroymns.  Also,
recent Java packages ("javax.servlet",
"javax.servlet.jsp" e.g.) seem to use mixed case, but
older packages (e.g. "java.net") do not.  I think
precedent supports Henning.

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange