commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ola Berg <ola.b...@arkitema.se>
Subject Re: [collections] ComparableComparator executes all comparisons twice!?
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 17:38:30 GMT
> ie) Unwanted code is deprecated for the next major or minor release, and
> removed in the major release following that.
>
> so:
>
> 1.0 -> 2.0, Foo.foo is deprecated
> 2.0 -> 2.1, Foo.bar is deprecated
> 2.1 -> 3.0, Foo.foo and Foo.bar are both removed
>
> or if it is such that we just need to do N releases between deprecation
> and removal, specify that. Basically get something simple and effective
> standardised to stop future debates.

I'd suggest:

patch number 1.2.1 -> 1.2.2 = bugfix, no API or behavioural changes

minor number 1.2.3 -> 1.3.0 = adding functionality/API, still backwards
compatible (classes or methods may be added)

major number 2.0.0 -> = risk for backward incompatibilities

With this scheme, the removal of deprecated methods and classes needs a new
major release number.

/O