commons-dev mailing list archives

From Morgan Delagrange <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [collections] Collections sub-packages
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 04:01:50 GMT

--- Rich Dougherty <rich@rd.gen.nz> wrote:
> > -1.
> >
> > Backward compatibility is the main concern.
> [collection] is widely used. If
> > the package is reorged, existing users (including
> Struts and Tomcat?) can't
> > upgrade to new releases without substantial
> changes.
> >
> > Besides, the [collection] package is not that big,
> compared to say java.util.*.
>
> Mind you, many people would consider that java.util
> is pretty badly
> organised.
>
> I agree that the inconvenience to users needs to be
> carefully weighed
> up. Sun has made the decision to keep java.util
> together instead of
> splitting it into java.collections, java.time, etc.
> I think that
> decision was a good one, but that doesn't
> necessarily make it a good
> design. :-)
>
> Rich

I'm also -1 to repackaging unless there is a more
concrete benefit.  Collections is widely adopted
indeed:

  http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/xref.html

Inconveniencing users by repackaging so they won't be
inconvenienced by our packaging.  Does not compute.
It doesn't even look that confusing to my eyes:

http://nagoya.apache.org/gump/javadoc/jakarta-commons/collections/dist/docs/api/org/apache/commons/collections/package-summary.html#package_description

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange