commons-dev mailing list archives

From Morgan Delagrange <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/jelly project.xml
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2003 22:28:10 GMT

--- dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> Morgan Delagrange <mdelagra@yahoo.com> wrote on
> 07/01/2003 09:03:08 AM:
>
> > It makes some sense, but I don't see that it's
> > necessarily useful.  In six weeks, will anyone
> care
> > about 1.0-beta-4-SNAPSHOT?  If the release JARS
> for
> > beta 1, 2, and 3 are out there, it's pretty
> obvious
> > that we're working on the next version, whatever
> that
> > number might be.
>
> In six weeks, maybe not. But for now it helps
> understand what build the
> timestamped jars come from. Especially on ibiblio
> where we need to prune
> things sometime.
>
> > If the tags are dependent on SNAPSHOT, and we're
> in
> > heavy development with no compatibility on a
> released
> > version, I think it makes sense for the release
> > version of Jelly to be SNAPSHOT as well.  If I
> want to
> > test a tag against a new version of Jelly I can
> just
> > type:
> >
> >   maven clean jar:install
>
> Use:
>
> maven clean jar:install-snapshot
>
> This does the copying for you.

Aha, I don't think that target is documented:

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/reference/plugins/java/goals.html

That's a big help.  I'm not sure all those versioned
snapshots pay off in the end, but it looks like I can
safely ignore them for now.  Thanks!

> Since Maven depends on commons-jelly-SNAPSHOT.jar to
> really test against a
> recently built snapshot, you should copy the jar
> into the $MAVEN_HOME/lib
> directory too.

Ugh, I didn't think of that.  Danger, better
classloader isolation required!

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange