commons-dev mailing list archives

From Morgan Delagrange <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Jelly] Release Issue 1 - dependencies
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2003 18:39:23 GMT

--- Rodney Waldhoff <rwaldhoff@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>

> > This whole issue is why I have some misgivings
> about Jelly as a commons
> > component -- the functionality is great, but the
> dependency matrix for the
> > libraries is enormous.
> >
> > How about moving Jelly core *only* to commons
> proper, and starting a new
> > "jakarta-jelly-taglibs" (with independent but
> coordinated builds like
> > jakarta-taglibs) for all the tag libraries?
> >

> I'm also happy to see a core/taglib split, with
> independent but
> coordinated builds, and perhaps in some (many?)
> cases eventually moving
> the taglib more directly under the management of the
> project upon which it
> depends (e.g., jelly:quartz as an add-on to quartz,
> jelly:werkz as an
> add-on to werkz, etc.), but why not house this under
> the same module in
> CVS?
>
> I.e., for now:
>
> jakarta-commons/jelly/jelly-core
> jakarta-commons/jelly/jelly-taglibs/*
>
> and later:
>
> jakarta-jelly/jelly-core
> jakarta-jelly/jelly-taglibs/*
>
> producing (and releasing) several jars.
>
> I don't see the advantage of not having a common
> root cvs module, or more
> to the point I think I see some slight advantage to
> having one.

I think the only reason to leave Jelly in Commons is
to avoid repackaging Jelly and its dependant Apache
applications (two inside Jakarta that I know of).  I'm
amenable to:

  1. Jelly core and tags stay in Commons (+1)
  2. Jelly core stays in Commons, while tags become a
     Jakarta subproject (+1)
  3. Jelly core and tags become a Jakarta
     subproject (+0)

Someone person or people would have to volunteer for
the third option however, since that involves some
extra work.

> (Although if you apply Craig's statement to
> "releases" instead of
> directories--why not move first toward a *release*
> of jelly-core only, I
> fully agree.)

Me too.  I will probably volunteer to release some
subset of the non-core tags, but only after Jelly 1.0
is out there.  Each tag should have independent
releases, version numbers, etc.  A combo jar would be
a definite plus, so we should look at that too, but
IMO only after the individual releases are complete.

- Morgan

> > Craig

=====
Morgan Delagrange