commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rodney Waldhoff <>
Subject Re: [Jelly] Release Issue 1 - dependencies
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2003 18:18:55 GMT
On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> This whole issue is why I have some misgivings about Jelly as a commons
> component -- the functionality is great, but the dependency matrix for the
> libraries is enormous.
> How about moving Jelly core *only* to commons proper, and starting a new
> "jakarta-jelly-taglibs" (with independent but coordinated builds like
> jakarta-taglibs) for all the tag libraries?

I'm also happy to see a core/taglib split, with independent but
coordinated builds, and perhaps in some (many?) cases eventually moving
the taglib more directly under the management of the project upon which it
depends (e.g., jelly:quartz as an add-on to quartz, jelly:werkz as an
add-on to werkz, etc.), but why not house this under the same module in

I.e., for now:

and later:

producing (and releasing) several jars.

I don't see the advantage of not having a common root cvs module, or more
to the point I think I see some slight advantage to having one.
(Although if you apply Craig's statement to "releases" instead of
directories--why not move first toward a *release* of jelly-core only, I
fully agree.)

> Craig

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>