commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [jelly] Question on junit.CaseTag
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 08:58:36 GMT
From: "Sam Ruby" <rubys@apache.org>
> Debugging the Ant task junit failure, the error occurs in
> parallelCopyWithReference.  By playing with a correct combination of Ant
> and BeanUtil versions, I have finally been able to coax out an error
> message that means something to me:
>
> org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.ant.CaseTag doesn't support the nested
> "filterset" elements.
>
> And, in fact, if I modify this particular task to include the filterset
> elements in place instead of by reference, the test passes (again, with
> this particular combination of Ant and BeanUtil versions).
>
> So, my question is: looking at the source to CaseTag, I see no obvious
> support for nested filterset elements present.  Looking back into the
> revision history, I don't see where it was ever present.  I'm sure it
> was working at some point... but I don't really know where to look.
>
> Anybody know how this is supposed to work?

I might not have had enough coffee yet to explain this properly first time
but here goes...

Ant tags like <filterset> tend to work in different modes. They can be a
'Task' instance, a 'data type' or a 'property' (of a parent Task or data
type). So the Ant tag library has some logic to try figure out that when
something like <filterset> is used, should it be treated as a Task, a data
type or a property. This can be a little complex to figure out sometimes.
The test case you mention is really using <filterset> in each of its
possible modes, as a data type or nested property and being inside or
outside of a TaskContainer etc.

The logic to make the decision on whether an Ant tag should be considered to
be a Task or a property of a parent Task or data type is made in
AntTag.java. If it helps, you can enable debug logging and you should see
what AntTag thinks of the script its trying to execute.

>From looking at the source code I couldn't see where the error message is
being generated; it could be inside a call to BeanUtils or in an invocation
of Ant's PropertyHelper. Any chance you can supply a stack trace and I'll
try figure out whats going wrong?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/