commons-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [logging] Adding jndi java:env support
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 06:44:16 GMT
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> I'm neutral on prefix versus suffix (although prefix feels a little more
> in keeping with the hierarchical naming I tend to use for logging).  But
> that raises an important consideration -- do the underlying logging
> implementations we support deal gracefully with a ":" syntax in a logger
> name?  In particlar, could I configure a logger for "DOMAIN:" and have it
> apply to all loggers in that domain?  I'm wondering if we might want to
> use a period (".") as the connector instead.

I don't know - that's why I ask :-)

We should certainly use a syntax that is compatible with both jdk1.4 and
log4j. We could encode the name - but it needs to be easy to type ( I hate
 %xx ).

The only reason for suffix is easier configuration - but I'm not even sure
it's easier :-)  Can log4j or jdk14 support
  *.org.apache.commons.level=DEBUG  ?
The use case of setting the log level on a component in multiple
applications seems more common.

We can leave the log name unchanged and try to play
some tricks with the logger config. Changing the log name seemed
like the easiest solution.

We can associate the application name with the hierarchy - but
again I don't know how this would work from a config perspective.

Ceki - any idea ?

The use case I have in mind is a container ( like tomcat ), with
several applications, a JMX-based config tool and some centralised
config file ( eventually managed by the JMX tool or editor or some
other UI ). The apps shouldn't have to do anything - they should just
see the normal log patterns as a standalone app today.

( of course - this should also work for jdk14 or other
loggers - even if log4j is the best :-)

Costin