commons-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [logging] Adding jndi java:env support
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:29:51 GMT
The big issue is the behavior.

My proposal was: if java:env/comp/LoggingDomain is set ( as a String ),
it'll be used as a prefix in all loggers ( that don't have a prefix ).
The syntax for the logger names will become:
   DOMAIN:LOGGER
And all loggers will have to be configured with this name ( if running
in a container env with LoggingDomain support ).

This is very important - and I would like to see more opinions. Maybe
we should use the domain as a suffix instead of prefix ? Then you would
have:
  org.apache.foo:host:8080/examples
as the log name, but you can set org.apache.foo.* to debug and enable
the loggers in all apps.

The prefix is cleaner, but the suffix may be easier to configure.

For implementation - I'm in no hurry ( I would like to have it before
tomcat5 is released - but that's not very close ). And I can use
reflecion or a hook, if needed.

Costin