commons-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [logging] Adding jndi java:env support
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:22:08 GMT
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Costin Manolache wrote:
>

>> The big downsize is that we'll add a compile dependency on
>> JNDI ( the code can catch ClassNotFound - and run even if
>> JNDI is not present ).
>>

> Why couldn't we use reflection to avoid the compile-time dependency as
> well?  After all, you like that pattern everywhere else :-).

That's not necesarily true - I usually like a hook that plugs a class
with the dependency, and conditional compilation. ( like in jdk11 compat
package in tomcat ). Since JNDI is included in JDK1.3 and available for
1.1 - and it can be detected at runtime - I would rather use it directly
and keep the code simpler.

Costin